About the Awards for Innovation
The Awards are designed to support breakthrough innovations at a California community college or district that improve student success, demonstrate revolutionary learning or student support models, are sustainable, and can be scaled regionally or throughout the state.
These awards represent the system’s commitment to finding new practices that will help close the achievement gap for underrepresented students and support the Vision for Success.
These awards will support sites across many different communities that are in the process of scaling promising practices that align with the system goals illustrated in the Vision for Success. Chosen sites will be expected to continue scaling the innovation identified and work with the Chancellor's Office to disseminate that promising practice for the benefit of other sites.
The legislation directs the Board of Governors to give preference to innovations that:
- Incorporate technology to improve instruction and support services
- May encourage partnership between the community college and other entities
- Align with the Chancellor’s Vision for Success
The enacting legislation specifically highlights the state’s desire to support the scaling of innovations that improve student outcomes for:
- Populations underrepresented in higher education, such as low-income students, students from underrepresented schools and neighborhoods, first-generation students, students who are current or former foster youth, and students with disabilities
- Students who are current or former members of the Armed Forces of the United States
- Workers displaced from the workforce and adults who are underemployed
- Incarcerated adults in prisons and jails, including formerly incarcerated adults
California’s 2017-18 budget includes $20 million in one-time funds supporting the Awards for Innovation in Higher Education. Disbursements will happen on or before June 30, 2018.
December 8, 2017
Online application open
December 21, 2017
Notice of Interest due
February 7, 2018
11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
March 12, 2018
2:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
March 19, 2018
Completed application due
April 9-12, 2018
Applicant interviews (tentative)
May 14, 2018
Board of Governors announces winners
June 30, 2018 (on or before)
Disbursement of award amounts
The Chancellor’s Office staff will lead the process to select the colleges or districts for innovations that directly address the legislative intent of the award and clearly align with the Chancellor’s Vision for Success. Chancellor’s Office staff will also make recommendations about the amount of each award between $1 million and $4 million.
The California Community Colleges Board of Governors will announce the Awards for Innovation in Higher Education at their May meeting. The number of awardees will vary based on the strength of the submissions and the funding needed to scale the programs.
The California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office is responsible for selecting the awardees, administering the Award's funds, defining the required work plan and budget documentation, and working with awardees to scale their programs.
The Success Center for California Community Colleges, housed at the Foundation for California Community Colleges, is providing additional support for the implementation of the Awards program.